Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gastronavigation: Caffeination

...I've been a lazy blogger as of late, but am looking to change that.

Starting off easy, with photos taken while wandering through the various (awesome) independent coffee stores that KW has to offer.


Cafe Pyrus is relatively new to the coffee scene, but they definitely look like they know what they're doing. While the armchairs and couches look like they got lost on the way to being part of a John Hughes set, they are also ridiculously comfortable (and ideally positioned to soak up afternoon sun while sipping on a perfectly lemony iced tea - not too sweet! I, sadly, did not take a picture of it.) I liked the nifty lime, pomegranate, and jasmine plants on the windowsill (you can just see some tiny limes!)



Sammich [sic] is one of the few misspellings that my recalcitrant English-major side will let slide. The funky monocled pear and sly sense of humour used throughout Cafe Pyrus' vegan menu is fun as well.




I loved the open baskets of beans at Kitchener's Matter of Taste from the first moment I walked in. There's just something beautifully sensual about it (and yes, I restrained myself from poking at the beans. But only barely, and out of consideration for fellow coffee enthusiasts.)



The ensemble of Bourbon Street vanilla rooibos tea and cheese croissant for me, and Americano and blueberry-oatmeal (?) muffin for M. All yummy. One day, I should really ask who does their architectural-meets-graffiti-overlay artwork that hangs on Matter of Taste's walls. There's one with lots of reds and an old brick building that I covet quite considerably!




I (finally!) stopped back at Cafe O for an espresso-based beverage... and found their latte delicious and a perfect afternoon pick-me-up (the prettily-swirled soft foam was a visual bonus.) Sadly, they were out of those epic almond croissants... another time!


Where have you been wandering? Is there anywhere I should send my feet towards?

2 comments:

  1. I love your pictures! I made it to Golden Hearth for some handmade croissants which were delicious. Also, tried Taste of Philly Cheesesteak over the weekend which was quite satisfying. Unfortunately I'll be wandering on my way out of KW very soon (finishing school), and I'll definitely miss the good eats and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bea!

    Congrats on finishing school - it's a huge milestone, and KW will always be here if you want to visit, right? ^_~

    Glad you enjoyed the pictures, and Golden Hearth has been on my list for a while - good to hear it's worth the buzz! I'll have to look up Taste of Philly as well.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete